Progress Made Toward Social Media Standards
It is exciting to see this kind of progress being made toward social media standards – especially on a such a global scale!
Tim Marklein (@tmarklein) and Katie Paine (@kpaine) of #SMMStandards presented a road map to social media standards at the 4th European Summit on Measurement in Dublin.
The road map includes contributions from cross-industry collaboration including AMEC, Council of PR Firms, Institute for Public Relations, PRSA, Global Alliance, CIPR, IABC, SNCR, Web Analytics Association, WOMMA, and key clients Dell, Ford, Procter & Gamble, SAS, Southwest Airlines, Thomson Reuters.
Here is an excerpt from the presentation (complete presentation embedded below):
The Need for Standards
Social media has moved well beyond experimentation phase
- Chasing fans and followers is insufficient
- Clients need to justify/maintain/expand investment
Marketplace is demanding standards
- Common language for clients, agencies and research firms
- Unify perspective/metrics across communications disciplines
Accelerate shift from low-level counting to higher-level value
- Enable comparison across programs/brands/organizations
- Increase reliability of data and methods
- Foster competition based on insights not “black boxes”